Top 10+ Electric BikesBy soumitra, Gaea News Network
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
We all know that electric bikes are zero emission vehicles which help to prevent the global warming scenario and also lower the pollution levels in the cities. With the rising gas prices these days Electric modes of transportation are the cheapest ones with only a few cents per mile fuel cost. They are slowly becoming more popular as they are now an affordable necessity versus traditional methods. The new models of bikes are capable of traveling further using the latest battery technology and efficient motors. As some of the electric bicycles have a pedal system (even though they do not need to be used) there is no need for a drivers license, it does not have to be registered with the DMV, and if you follow the bicycle laws you should be able to ride some of these bikes to any place where bicycles are allowed to operate. (Per Federal Electric Bicycle Law H.R. 727).
There are also some motorcycles like that one pictured above can have a top speed of more than 100 mph and owning one of them can be a real luxurious thing. Here we have made a list of 10 Electric Bikes that consist of both the high performance luxury ones and the affordable, useful ones. Have look at the list and decide which one best suits your needs.ARTICLE CONTINUED BELOW
1. Mission One Sports Bike
The all-electric Mission One sportbike promises a top speed of 150 mph and a 150 mile range. It also features a recharge time of less than 2 hours using a 240v outlet. Aimed at the high-end/luxury market, the company states it is the “first production electric sportbike that features uncompromised performance and an iconic new design.”
It’s currently scheduled for delivery in 2010. Do you want to know the price? It is only $68,995!
2. The Brammo Enertia Electric Motorcycle
The Brammo Enertia is an all electric bike designed for everyday city commuting.
- Engine Power : 24 horsepower
- Top Speed : 55 mph
- Range 45 miles per charge
- Battery Pack Capacity : 3.1 KWh
- Aluminum monocoque chassis.
- Suspension Travel: 5 inch for both front and rear.
- Weight : 280 pound
The Enertia is available for preorder at $11,995
3. Zero X Dirt Bike
This one is another strong competitor to grab the future electric motorcycle market.
- 31 horsepower motor
- 60 miles per charge
- 62.5 foot-pounds torque
- Top speed : 60 mph
- 0 to 60 : 5 seconds
- Weight : 225 pounds
- 2 Kilowatt hour battery pack
- Suspension travel : 9 inch in front and 8 inch in back
It will cost about $9,950
4. Motorsport GPR-S e-motorcycle
Electric Motorsport has sold 25 of these so far, but they’re up and running and ready for sales at volume. The bike can charge in about four hours, or 1.5 hours with an optional speed charger. Even better, the bike is modular in nature, which means you’ll be able to swap in a better power system once one comes along with a minimum of hassle.
- Top Speed : 60-70 MPH
- Range : 35-60 miles on a single charge
It is priced around $8,000
5. The Vectrix Electric Scooter
The Vectrix is a 100% electric vehicle which is more like an motorcycle than a scooter. The battery pack recharges to 80 or 90 percent of capacity in two hours. Three hours is usually enough for a full charge, four if you start from flat empty.
- Top speed : 62 mph
- Range : 68 miles
- Battery : Low-mounted 3.7 KW-Hr NiMH battery
It is priced around $9000.
6. The Electric XB-700Li Elite Lithium Powered E-Bike
This is a popular model that will give you the value for the money you spend on it.
- Motor : 700 Watt Rear Hub Motor
- Battery : 26 Lightweight Lithium LiMn04 Ion Battery
- Battery life of up to 7-10 years
- Tire Size: 16″ x 3.0″ on Aluminum Wheels
- Speed: 20 MPH
- Distance: 25-35 Miles per Charge
- Throttle Type: Variable Speed Control (Twist Throttle)
- Max Rider Weight: 350Lbs
Price $1699 at Amazon
7. Razor MX650 Dirt Rocket Electric Motocross Bike
This is a compact electric motocross bike with authentic dirt bike frame geometry. Recommended for ages 16 and older.
- Electric motor power : 650-watt
- Carries riders at speeds of up to 17 mph
- Dual suspension and riser handlebars deliver smooth, comfortable ride
- Pneumatic knobby tires for maximum power transfer
- Quiet variable-speed, chain-driven motor
- Weight limit : 220-pound
- 90-day warranty
Price $419 at Amazon.
8. IZIP HG-1000 Hybrid Electric Bike
The IZIP HG-1000 is a popular electric bike and is called a “hybrid” because it has a scooter-type frame, but it can include pedal for human-assisted power. This bike is designed with commuters in mind — it comes standard with an integrated rack, lockable rear trunk, front basket and removable battery box. It also has a keyed power switch, a light, a horn and a battery gauge.
- Range : 30-35 miles on a single charge
- Top speed : 18 mph
- Battery : lead-acid 36 volt batteries
- Motor : 240 watt motor
This bike is available for around $750 from Amazon.
9. Ninja Electric Scooter Road Legal
For those looking for a practical daily transport the NINJA fits the bill perfectly. With plenty of carrying capacity front and rear, a 36 volt motor-battery combination for the maximum power and regenerative braking for maximum mileage.
- Max Speed : Approx 15 mph
- 200 W Brushless Motors
- Single Speed Gear
- Weight : 40 kg with battery
- Rated Load : 100 Kg
- Full Charge Distance : 45 mile
10. E-Zip Trailz 2008 Electric Scooter Bike
If you use this bike for a commute that is 20 miles or less, you could definitely arrive at the office without breaking a sweat. The battery detaches so that you can charge at a cafe or an office.
- Range : 10 miles with full use of electric motor
- Speed : 25 mph is easily attainable with little pedalling
The E-Zip Trailz Bike available from Amazon for $370.
Two More Interesting Electric Bikes from TTX GP
This bike is converted from Suzuki GSX-R750 by Anglo Indian Company Agni who manufacturers DC Motors in India. This motorcycle won the top place in the TTX GP with an average speed of 87 mph which is 10 mph faster than its closest competitors. The bike runs two DC electric motors. The motors are coupled with a shaft and then drive the rear wheel with a fixed ratio. The false fuel tank covers the bike’s battery management system.
MotoCzysz E1pc electric superbike
This electric motorcycle looks great and the battery packs are hot swappable which means that you can exchange the batteries with a fully charged ones within a minute just as you fill your tank at the gas station.